About Me

Friday 13 February 2015

I'm Apes For Crepes


Valentine’s Day tomorrow. So in the spirit, I thought I’d make a sweet dessert, perfect for after your romantic (or lonely) dinner.

I love crepes, and I've never actually made them before. So let’s do it. The dish this week is Crepes Suzette.

Start with the crepes themselves. Mix up all the ingredients in a bowl like flour, butter, eggs and milk. That's your batter. 

Pour that into the pan. First time around the pan was too hot and burnt the batter, so I had failed before I even began. 1-0 Crepes. Second time around went better though, and I spread the batter out to be a thin layer over the whole pan. Flip it when it starts to brown, and when the other side is done, you have a crepe. Or as your more uncultured friends may call it, 'a thin pancake?'

I set the crepes aside. I throw some sugar into the pan to start caramelizing it. Add in some Grand Marnier, courtesy of Mom's limited liquor collection. The standard procedure for adding alcohol in a recipe is: one for the recipe, then one for me.

Naturally I added a bit too much alcohol, but it just needed a little more sugar to even that out.

Cut up some oranges, then pour the syrup over the oranges.

Finally, roll up the crepes and pour the oranges over top. Done! Take that Crepes Suzette.

Also, thanks to all those who applied for the clean up/eating the food after job. I'll consider all applicants. Maybe we could set up a guest blog one time. Keep 'em coming. Cheers.








6 comments:

  1. Looks great Ethan! Looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your posts Eth! Debating making crepes right now, they look like they turned out delicious - and pretty easy too. Can't wait for you next post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks yummy, Ethan! Great job once again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These Crepes look amazing ! If you are a fan, you should check out the crepe place in the pen centre - they do sweet and savoury crepes, and aren't to expensive... so good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Crepes are unreal. Never had them with oranges though, will have to try it! - Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow these look amazing. I lived in France for a semester and it is true that this is their go-to meal! It can be made into breakfast, lunch, dessert or dinner. On that thought, I'm going to go make myself one :)

    ReplyDelete